POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics : Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Attempt to POV4 Syntax basics
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Oct 2007 12:00:00
Message: <web.4707b008153c00f6bb2c29160@news.povray.org>
"Wolf" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> My point is that I think there is no need to define the new SDL in a way
> somebody having never done any programming can deal with it.
> Those people will probably go for a graphical modeler anyway.

how about a poll?

But I'm not sure it's true that users of povray SDL have programming
experience.  Of course, most of the heavy users are old timers from a time
when visual modellers were science fiction stuff and the command-line was
king.

Still, I don't think visual modellers are a good substitute for a well
designed language.

They are in fact just as much of a hinderance to productivity as the mouse.
When you're a beginner, the mouse may help you by letting you visualize and
choose options in a menu, but once you've done that 100 times a day,
there's no good substitute for a keyboard shortcut...  Likewise, visual
modellers may have some appeal by letting you choose options and link
visual boxes with arrows, but soon you'll find it cumbersome and willing to
just spell pigment { foo } rather than drop a pigment box inside a texture
box and that inside a material box...