POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators : Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators
From: Wolf
Date: 5 Oct 2007 03:55:02
Message: <web.4705ed3084df9986edd244720@news.povray.org>
"Zeger Knaepen" <zeg### [at] povplacecom> wrote:

> My point: unless you change the meaning of "parsing" (which doesn't speed up
> anything, and therefor would be, imho, considered useless), parsing is NOT
> neceseraalery (I hate that word, never get it even close to right, probably
> cause I'm not even trying anymore) 'very quick', on the contrary.

OK, let's clarify things a bit:

This thread is concerned with the part from reading the SDL file to
recognize the SDL tokens within it *ONLY*.
The steps involved between token recognition and building the internal data
structure was never meant to be part of this discussion.
Obviously the time needed for this step(s) depends heavily on the *content*
of the SDL (many loops creating objects...), while the time needed to
recognize the SDL tokens should only be depended on the *length* of the SDL
file.

- Wolf