POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators : Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New SDL: support for lexical scanner generators
From: Wolf
Date: 4 Oct 2007 16:05:00
Message: <web.470546a984df9986edd244720@news.povray.org>

> Unfortunately scanner and parser generators are highly inefficient to
> maintain when it comes to non-trivial languages. That is why i.e. gcc
> nowadays has a hand-written parser implementation.

True, but if the language has a proper design the grammar maintenance is not
that bad.
There are syntax complete ANTLR grammars for all Java versions out there,
and i would consider Java a non-trivial language.

Maintenance has to be done from one version to the next one, and as we all
know POV-ray is not released very often.

Take it as a chance for a clean implementation, not as a annoying thing to
do.

- Wolf