POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : A new SDL Idea : Re: A new SDL Idea Server Time
31 Jul 2024 16:28:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new SDL Idea
From: nemesis
Date: 4 Oct 2007 12:45:00
Message: <web.47051834bcc3cc02f48316a30@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Bryan Valencia <no### [at] waycom> wrote:
> > This would open the doors to things like...
>
> people writing powerful libraries for POV-Ray which are not portable and
> would require for people to install development environments in their
> system just to get the thing working.
>
>   Also since the library is probably written in a language only 1% of
> POV-Ray users like, use or even understand, it would probably be pretty
> useless for almost everyone but the author himself.
>
>   The good thing about the SDL is that the only requirement to use it
> is POV-Ray. That's it.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I have to completely agree with Warp.  I'd certainly write them in Scheme.
:)

Of course, it wouldn't be a problem if they were bytecompiled to some common
binary representation.

But, what really bothers me is that I'm not sure povray artists bother about
writing their own SDLs just to render a scene.  I'd be interested to see the
opinion of guys like Gilles Tran, Jaime Vives, Jim Charter, Tek and other
advanced SDL users...