POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : DF3 density file generation for a generic 3D object ? : Re: DF3 density file generation for a generic 3D object ? Server Time
8 Jul 2024 19:38:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: DF3 density file generation for a generic 3D object ?
From: Antonio Ferrari
Date: 3 Oct 2007 05:20:00
Message: <web.47035dca413da414e64f15d0@news.povray.org>
> If the object is an isosurface with a threshold of 0 and you use the same
> function for the density, the density will start at zero at the surface and go
> up as you move in. By exactly how much depends on the gradient of the
> function,but some scaling can do the trick. If the function is quadratic, taking
> it's square root will return a linear curve.
>
> If you use some primitives, there are some patterns that can help. Those are
> spherical, boxed and planar.
>
> spherical start at 1 at the origin and drop to zero at radius = 1.
>
> boxed start at 1 at the origin and drop to zero when reaching 1 unit distance in
> any ortogonal direction.
>
> planar start at 1 on the x-z plane and drop to zero at 1 unit along the y axis.
>
> Those can be scaled, receive various wave shapes, be multiplied, divided,
> squared,...
>
> --
> Alain

Yes. I didn't think to isosurfaces. There many isosurfaces that povray can
handle. The following wonderful tutorial explains them:

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/

Furthermore I know that one of Christoph patches can speed up the process
for isosurfaces.

The problem could be for complex CSG objects or if I decide to use meshes,
sor, lathe, etc.

Only one more question: if have two isosurface objects with their own media
and I construct an union, difference or intersection, what happens to
medias? I'll try to esperiments this cases...