POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : photons and refraction : Re: photons and refraction Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: photons and refraction
From: Kenneth
Date: 2 Oct 2007 02:00:05
Message: <web.4701d953c9143cf5dc8ce470@news.povray.org>
"Oliver" <oli### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> What is supposed to happen, is a narrow beam of light from a spotlight
> enters some scattering media so it shows up, enters a glass block at an
> angle, where it is refracted, and then exits at the other side, where it
> shows up in the media again.
>
> What actually happens is it shows up before it strikes the block, but then
> does not show up again at the other side.

I happened to be experimenting with a test scene almost identical to yours,
running into problems, then spotted your post. Glad to see that there
wasn't a problem after all.

BUT...it's interesting to note that ATMOSPHERIC media (i.e., not enclosed in
an object) DOES exhibit this problem: When photons are on, the
light source/media interaction is extinguished at the first glass
surface that the light hits...even with hollow on. There doesn't seem to
be any solution to the problem in this case (I've tried every
trick I can think of.)  Perhaps it's a bug. Of course, the
media/photons example given in the  POV docs involves only
object media--which is, in most cases, a more *efficient* way of
doing things anyway.

It would be useful if atmopheric media worked the same way, though.

Ken W.