POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : sinewave wrapped around a cylinder : Re: sinewave wrapped around a cylinder Server Time
4 Oct 2024 17:06:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: sinewave wrapped around a cylinder
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 1 Oct 2007 20:30:01
Message: <web.4701906beb21779c5e73ab330@news.povray.org>
"Leef_me" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
> SPOT-ON!  This what I was thinking of exactly. It took me a few tries to
> understand how to position it, but I'm getting the idea. I commented out
> the (2) cylinder statements to see just the heightfield mesh.

I've used heightfields for a lot of interesting things, especially once I
figured out how to use and manipulate internal functions for it.

There are some little oddities that take some time to figure out:
-you have to make sure all values are less than or equal to 1, after that it
cycles back to 0 and can give odd results.
-learn how to use scaling and colour mapping to get relative heights
-image_maps and heightfield function patterns read from the x-y plane but
the heightfield is mapped on the x-z plane.  this can be one of the
trickiest to get used to.

> I thought that the 'subtraction' would stop when the heightfield stopped.
> But, I see that it truncates the rest of the cylinder regardless of its
> length.  I don't undertand how that works.
>
> Leef_me

I always thought the same at first, but I guess heightfields are infinite in
the +/-y direction like a plane, but are bounded in the x and z directions.

-tgq