POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : idea for an alternate type of focal blur : Re: idea for an alternate type of focal blur Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:18:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: idea for an alternate type of focal blur
From: Kenneth
Date: 21 Sep 2007 01:05:00
Message: <web.46f34e5d56160c3232a3ba970@news.povray.org>
"honnza" <jan### [at] centrumcz> wrote:

> IIUC the blur is implemeted by shooting rays from random locations to the
> focused plane. Maybe you could focus to the infinity (fixed focus cameras
> do this) but then you can not focus anything else. You can already do/fake
> this by focusing a very distant object (focal_point 1e6*z).

This idea that you and others have mentioned might well accomplish what I'm
after.  Perhaps not  by setting the sharp point (plane) "to infinity," but
however far (in z) my scene happens to extend to.  Anything past that
point wouldn't matter. Embarassed to say that such an obvious solution
hadn't occured to me. :-( The only small downside to this that I can think
of is not being able to set a point (plane) close to the camera where the
blurriness should cease; it's all up the aperature setting in this case. But
hey, I'll try it--maybe it will work just fine!

> BTW anything is a close-up relative to the background, just the relative
> aperture gets smaller. :-)

That's true. :-)

> -the eye focuses on whatever you look, but not at the same time. When you
> watch the clouds, your newspaper is blurred. If you are reading the clouds
> are.

Yes--and binocular vision adds complexity to the issue as well--two
overlapping "images" that the ol' brain has to make sense of.

Thanks for the reply!

KW