POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Area light + thin object =3D problem : Re: Area light + thin object =3D3D3D3D3D problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area light + thin object =3D3D3D3D3D problem
From: Grassblade
Date: 17 Sep 2007 16:40:00
Message: <web.46eee5d332c5e2fa12e1f89c0@news.povray.org>
"tasuki" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hello!

Hello! :-)

> > Your area light is *way* too wide compared to the item it shines on. You've
> > got a cylinder 0.03 in radius and, in the 50 lights scenario, a light every
> > 0.06. Obviously you end up with two shadows divided by a lighter zone.
> > Simply cut down on the area light size (i.e. <3, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 3> ) to
> > something more in tune with the target object size.
>
> I see...
>
> But when I make the area smaller, I get too sharp shadows. I'd like really
> soft shadows... is there any way of creating soft shadows with thin
> objects?

Increasing the number of lights seems to be the way to go. Make sure you
have an odd number of lights if the distance between two consecutive lights
(in the area light, that is) isn't smaller than the diameter of your object.
Even then, you probably want to have at least 4 lights in the cylinder
diameter. Assuming you still want a <3,0,0>-wide area light, that would
mean 4/0.06=x/3 --> x=200 lights.