POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : no_shadow and photon pass_through : Re: no_shadow and photon pass_through Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:28:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: no_shadow and photon pass_through
From: Kenneth
Date: 17 Sep 2007 02:40:00
Message: <web.46ee1f4bb7aeba29a63789cd0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:

> I've just run into the same problem. The POV documentation is very clear
> that no_shadow and pass_through *should* work together exactly as you
> described.  But they don't.
>
> I think it's a bug.
>
> Ken W.

Actually, my scene is a bit different from yours, but the problem
still shows up.

My "ground" is a thin flat box, with some reflection and a normal pattern,
and no-shadow. Its photon block is

photons {target reflection on refraction off  pass_through off}

Just as the docs recommend, to make it reflect photon caustics even though
it has no_shadow.

Sitting on this box is another rectangular box, to show any reflected photon
effects from the "ground." Two lights shine down onto both objects.

The result is NO reflected caustics on the rectangular box, when they should
be there (according to the docs.)  As you did, I commented out the no_shadow
keyword, and the caustics (from the ground's normal pattern) appeared.

KW