POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Area light + thin object =3D problem : Re: Area light + thin object =3D3D3D problem Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:28:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Area light + thin object =3D3D3D problem
From: Grassblade
Date: 14 Sep 2007 06:45:00
Message: <web.46ea6550e861fd3cdc894a6f0@news.povray.org>
"tasuki" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hello Alain,
>
> thanks for your answer.
>
> Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> > This is due to the fact that area_light are composed of several point_lights
> > disposed in a regular array. Some shadowed points may be in view of all of
> > those points.
>
> Yes, I figured out this was the problem, but I am not sure how to get rid of
> it ;)
>
> > The use of jitter can help hide this, as for each points tested, the location
> > of  each element is slightly shifted randomly from it's original position for
> > the shadow evaluation. This random noise is normaly unnoticeable.
>
> I did use jitter, too.
> Well, let me clarify, this is my test scene:
>

> #include "colors.inc"
> #include "textures.inc"
> plane { y, 0
>   pigment { rgb .8 }
>   finish { reflection .05 }
> }
> cylinder { <0,0,0>,<0,1,0>,.03
>   texture { Chrome_Metal }
> }
> #declare qualight=clock;
> light_source { <6, 4, 0> White
>   area_light <3, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 3>, qualight, qualight
>   jitter
>   circular orient
> }
> camera {
>   location <0, 2, -2>
>   look_at <-1.2, 0, 0>
> }
>

> You can see the result here: http://www.tasuki.org/povray/arealights.png
>
> For some number of lights, it looks ok... but the problem appears again when
> I have more sticks at different distances from the area light...

Your area light is *way* too wide compared to the item it shines on. You've
got a cylinder 0.03 in radius and, in the 50 lights scenario, a light every
0.06. Obviously you end up with two shadows divided by a lighter zone.
Simply cut down on the area light size (i.e. <3, 0, 0>, <0, 0, 3> ) to
something more in tune with the target object size.