POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Status of Moray? : Re: Status of Moray? Server Time
2 May 2024 02:54:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Status of Moray?
From: nemesis
Date: 7 Sep 2007 07:40:00
Message: <web.46e1381daa459942df93a4e60@news.povray.org>
> Shay wrote:
> > However, the slow development of POV-Ray leaves me concerned that this
> > quality program (or at least, a good deal of the community around it)
> > may one day disappear.

I feel that too:  Pixie is just like all renderers out there, obsessed with
polygon meshes or the likes.  Other than POV, I don't know of any other
renderer allowing for true mathematical surfaces as shape primitives...

> Now that process has been completed, as a group we feel the GPL3 is the way
> to go and have informally decided that 4.0 will be GPL3-licensed. [While at
> this point the GPL3 is not (as far as I know) OSI-approved, we expect that
> this will occur in due course, and in any event, the GPL has enough
> standing to hold its own.]

That's wonderful news, Chris!  I'm sure POV has many fans among the
open-source community which have not pronouced themselves until now because
of the non-usual POV license from the freeware days.

> Overall you may now have some better idea of what is in our minds and
> the process we intend to follow. The matter is we simply have to get the
> time to polish off 3.7 and do the requisite modifications to the tree to
> make it ready for the above.

thanks for the feedback, Chris.  Take all the time you need.  It's not like
3.6 sucks or has plenty of bugs...

> We are as always interested in hearing from anyone with reasonable coding
> skills who can assist, not only with the future 4.0 work but also with
> finishing 3.7.

hmm, I have some C coding skills, but I guess the main problem is not C
coding, but 3D algorithms and understanding the SDL parser...