POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why are these "invisible" spheres visible? : Re: Why are these "invisible" spheres visible? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:26:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why are these "invisible" spheres visible?
From: gadoid
Date: 6 Sep 2007 22:25:00
Message: <web.46e0b422c3c9512797e3bb420@news.povray.org>
"Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "gadoid" <hansen at tkgate.org> wrote:
>
> I may have narrowed the problem down for you.  It appears to be affected
> ultimately by the size of the normals of the plane behind the spheres.
>
> Try removing the plane normal or making it smaller and see what happens.  It
> doesn't matter what normal type you have on the spheres, so it's not related
> to the crackle pattern.  Whatever is causing it, the normals on the plane
> appear to be getting reversed by the spheres.  For example try rendering
> with "bozo 4" normal on the plane and then "bozo -4" and compare.
>
> Hope this can help someone track down the reason or bug causing it.
>
> -tgq

I did notice the problem only happens when the surface beyond has a normal.
You are right that it may be reversing the normal, I at first thought it was
just shifting it.  I'm beginning to think that this must be a POV-Ray bug,
but if it is, I need to find a work-around for my scene.  I can't get rid
of the "normal" on the surface behind the object, because that is water and
I am using the normal to generate the waves.  I have hundreds of the
"electron" objects in the scene.  The only thing I can think of is to
#declare a different object for every orientation I need since the
unrotated objects seem to render fine.