POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Physically accurate wax simulation : Re: Physically accurate wax simulation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically accurate wax simulation
From: Charles
Date: 3 Sep 2007 07:25:01
Message: <web.46dbeeb46612cd21550d7f0@news.povray.org>
Dear Alain,

I was referring to the snipped you posted earlier:

#declare Scale = 0.001;// use a large (>100) or a small (<0.01) value
#declare R = seed(1);// any value will do
#declare Samples = 10;// use a larger value only if absolutely needed, as
you
cross 2 surfaces, each ray will split in 10 two times!

normal{average{normal_map{
    #while(Samples)
 [1 normal bumps translate<rand(R),rand(R),rand(R)>*Scale scale Scale]
// you use a broad pattern with large displacemen
//OR tyni pattern with small displacement.
 #declare Samples = Samples - 1;
    #end
    }

This gives me a syntax error.

Another way to state the issue, by the way, is that a single material cannot
cast a shadow upon itself. I think I'm going to try simulating a few
thousand microscopic spheres and see what results that gives me.

Kind regards,
Charles