POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Any way to keep POVRay 3.5 from comming to the front? : Re: Any way to keep POVRay 3.5 from comming to the front? Server Time
5 Jul 2024 05:36:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Any way to keep POVRay 3.5 from comming to the front?
From: zeroin23
Date: 2 Sep 2007 06:10:00
Message: <web.46da8afe2197b8bb1ddfe9a90@news.povray.org>
"Chris Cason" <new### [at] deletethispovrayorg> wrote:
> > Actually, I wouldn't mind the splash screen on startup, if POV would stay in
> > the backround after that, and not hop to the front for each render, but with
>
> How many other windows applications can you count that don't get the focus when
> they start ? I can't think of any, the exceptions being services or other non-
> user-oriented things such as tray applets.
>
> > the "start /min /low... /exit" solution, a splash screen comes up for each
> > and every frame of an animation.  Very annoying, IMHO.
>
> Why are you running a separate instance of the program for each frame of the
> animation ?
>
> -- Chris

There is a need for separate instances, for example in a distributed script
based rendering which I am working on at the moment. (to solve my rendering
needs for my fyp submission on semi locked down machines.)

pvengine /exit Z:3kinMain126.in

works but then

pvengine /render Z:3kinMain126.in
Preset source file is 'Z:3kinMain126.in'.
POV-Ray for Windows doesn't recognize this file type ; assuming POV source.
Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive', undeclared identifier 'Width'
found instead
Possible Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive', undeclared identifier
'Width' found instead
File 'Z:3kinMain126.in' line 1: Parse Error: Expected 'object or directive',
undeclared identifier 'Width' found instead
File 'Z:3kinMain126.in' line 1: Possible Parse Error: Expected 'object or
directive', undeclared identifier 'Width' found instead
Render failed

the file name ext is .in as my program scans for ini, and then split out a
...in for each frame to render.

another question I have is that for rendering animations, is it possible to
do some caching, for the precomputed stuff? is there any precompute
computations which can be reuse for each animations frame?

thanks thanks 8)