POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : U3 compatible : Re: U3 compatible Server Time
17 May 2024 05:37:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: U3 compatible
From: Carl
Date: 28 Aug 2007 16:40:00
Message: <web.46d4873aab059e3070dc520d0@news.povray.org>
> I can't figure out what the concept is from their web site. Perhaps you
> can clarify what the point is?

Well I'm certainly no U3 expert but from what I've seen the concept is to
use your jump drive for more then simply carring your files around.  Say
you create an excel file on your home PC and save it on your jump drive.
If you then plug that jump drive in another PC you have the file but you
may not be able to open it unless you also have excel on that system.  U3
lets you install software directly to the jump drive so you can have your
web browser on your jump drive and all your favorites and bookmarks and
cookies etc go with you.  Same with email, and wallpaper images, etc.  In
short if you use U3 it can almost take the place of a lap top as any PC you
use can look just like your desktop at home.  And if you are using a PC in
your hotel on a business trip you don't leave any trail on that PC.  All
the history is only saved on the jump drive.  I personally use several
diffent PCs and I've tinkered in POV-Ray on all of them.  And its not
unusual for me to be looking for files I have on another PC and don't have
access to at the moment.  I think if I had POV-Ray installed on a U3 drive
I could always take it with me and in principle use any PC I wanted to.

How well this works in practice I don't know.  As I said, I've only been
playing with it for a week.

Carl