POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Conversion : Re: Conversion Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:26:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Conversion
From: Grassblade
Date: 24 Aug 2007 14:20:00
Message: <web.46cf205c6dc602ea8207e25c0@news.povray.org>
"RusHHouR" <gee### [at] mailnu> wrote:
> So... there are NO ways of converting an object consisting of several shapes
> made in POV-Ray to .obj, .mdl, .3ds, .any-bigger-standard-type-of-mesh?
IMO, it's possible and, at least conceptually, not too hard to convert an
arbitrary POV object into a mesh in SDL. Of course it's likely to be
dreadfully slow.
The algorithm could be more or less like this:
-manually bound the object if there is a difference or intersection
involved;
-find the unique sphere that passes through all the bounding box points;
-use the geodesic dome macro that was posted a while back to find points on
the bounding sphere. The number of points is user supplied, the bigger the
more detailed the mesh.
-Pick the first point on the sphere and shoot a single trace toward the
center of the bounding sphere: if no hit ensues, proceed to next geodesic
point; otherwise store the point returned by trace.
-Repeat for all points.
You now have a cloud of points. I haven't figured out how to transform them
in faces yet, but a possibility is to calculate the distance between
points, if it is less than an user supplied treshold, then the two points
form an edge.