POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : index of refraction ("ior") fails to influence on _transmitted_ light : Re: index of refraction ("ior") fails to influence on _transmitted_ light Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:24:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: index of refraction ("ior") fails to influence on _transmitted_ light
From: chefboss
Date: 15 Aug 2007 11:30:01
Message: <web.46c31ae183113be96f43f7c30@news.povray.org>
I might like to have the transparent matter behaving like in the real world,
to visualize some effects and therefore obeying the laws of nature. Scenery
would not be very complicated and anyhow auto-generated (therefrom the
perl-driving manner (perl reading eg. from fortran-output)).

Before I have to implement it in _new_, here what I intend to do:
  - have _lots_ of objects, each with refraction _and_ reflection _and_
absorption
       of some colors
  - (refraction, absorption, reflection) _not_ the same for all the objects
  - light passing lots of those objects, not just one or two
  - embed the objects in each other, with the different ior and
reflectivities in
     action (as for (simple) example inside of a sphere of given ior lots of
     smaller spheres with _different_ ior's (smaller or bigger), thereby
giving
     a lot of total-reflections and so on)
As you see, the above is quite impossible to be faked by any "effects" and
has to be traced physically. Of course it would use a lot of computing
power and I didnt say povray were bad ... .

By the way: How comes that as the author of this question-page does appear a
"Christian Froeschlin" (see http://news.povray.org/povray.general/ )?
He gave only a tiny comment, and I did author it (as it seems to me)(i'm
just asking).