POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Why the dark triangle? : Re: Why the dark triangle? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Why the dark triangle?
From: Grassblade
Date: 11 Aug 2007 06:25:00
Message: <web.46bd8dc6877f21f6364ceeb90@news.povray.org>
Shay <shay@s.s> wrote:
> camera { location <0,0,-2> look_at <0,0,0> }
> background { rgb <1, 1, 1> }
> light_source { <0,0,-25> rgb 10 shadowless}
>
> #local Ob1 = smooth_triangle {
> <-0.1, 0.5, 0.0>, <0.0, 0.1, 1.0>,
> < 0.1, 0.5, 0.1>, <0.0, 0.1, 1.0>,
> < 0.0, 0.6, 0.0>, <0.0,-0.1, 1.0>
> pigment { rgb <1,0,0> }}
>
> #local c0 = 0; #while ( c0 <= 264 )
>  object { Ob1 rotate <c0/4.0, -c0, 0.0> }
> #local c0 = c0 + 33; #end
>
> Shows several light and one dark triangle on latest Linux version. This
> is just a minimal scene to show the effect; Entire areas of my full
> scene are turning black this way.
>
>  -Shay
I get one dark triangle on Windows version too. If you reduce the light's
rgb to 3 or less you'll see a number of other triangles turning dark. On
the other hand if you shoot it up to 100, the triangle that is currently
dark will have only a small dark zone near one vertex. Moving the light
elsewhere causes other triangles to go dark, so the "problem" is evidently
due to interaction between the light source and smooth triangle normals.
I'm pretty sure everything is working as intended.