POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : How do you stage a scene? : Re: How do you stage a scene? Server Time
17 May 2024 05:57:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do you stage a scene?
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 10 Aug 2007 11:15:00
Message: <web.46bc7cd419c8eeafb41efe760@news.povray.org>
> Does anyone have any mathematical tricks for how they stage their scenes?

It's not much of a trick, but I have found it useful to use a "checkerboard"
floor in place of the one to be used in the final version so that I can just
count the squares for how far I want to move something.  Also, it's really
helpful to fix a specific scale in your mind before you start,  For
example, "1" = one meter or "1" =  one foot.  When I'm not sure what I want
to do, I often fiddle around with simple shapes in a basic freeeware drawing
or modling program to work out a composition.

The good news is that after a while, you just start to think in coordinate
vectors and placement becomes semi-intuitive.

"Do you remember where we parked the car?"
"Sure, we left it at <-1572,0,834>."  ;-)

Regrads,
Mike C.