POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : enlarging canvas but not image : Re: enlarging canvas but not image Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:27:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: enlarging canvas but not image
From: Charles C
Date: 4 Aug 2007 15:25:01
Message: <web.46b4ce1961f98363e33c01c00@news.povray.org>
T-n-T <lil### [at] donobinet> wrote:
> I have another seemingly simple problem I am pretty sure the someone
> here can answer. I have put together a simple scene, a tutorial for
> making a piece of jewelry, so it consists of multiple images each one
> with the next step added. I got to a point where my image goes off the
> 'canvas' I thought I could just resize the image size but that rescales
> my scene also, so now it is a different size than the rest of my
> images.
>
> So do I just need to resize the image and then zoom the camera out? If
> so is there some formula to keep the actual image the same size and
> just enlarge the canvas area? Example: if you go from canvas size of
> 300x300 to 500x500 to keep the picture the same size you need to zoom
> the camera out by X. What would X be? Maybe I am making a mountain out
> of an ant hill though.
> Thank you very much,
>
> lildog

Are these multiple-images applied to boxes with the camera pointed at an
arrangement of these boxes?  I have a feeling everything will get a lot
simpler if you use an orthographic camera.  Then you can scale either the
camera or the entire scene to make everything fit, and adjust the output by
the same proportion as the camera, or the inverse proportion of the scene.

OTOH, assuming the objects in the scene are more or less on a plane
perpendicular to the direction of the camera (I'm still imagining several
flat boxes with image maps on them), then even with a perspective camera,
you ought to be able to simply scale all the objects together to get things
to fit and not  have to think about changing the camera.  In your example,
you would just scale the union of all objects by 3/5, and then yes, set
your output res. to 500x500.

Charles