POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Can we modify resolution of images rendered ? : Re: Can we modify resolution of images rendered ? Server Time
17 May 2024 06:46:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Can we modify resolution of images rendered ?
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 18 Jul 2007 15:35:01
Message: <web.469e6a4336841355c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> breizh_france <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > I want to render an image 720x576 pixels with an horizontal and vertical
> > resolution of 300 ppp. The format of the image may be bmp or better png.
> > By "default", the resolution I obtain is 96 ppp.
>
>   What's "ppp"?
>
>   What is it that you want anyways? Do you want a 720x576 pixels image,
> or do you want a "300 ppp" (whatever that means) image? You are wanting
> to different resolutions at the same time? That's obviously impossible.
> That's like saying "I want a 640x480-pixel image which is 2000 pixels
> wide". That's an oxymoron.
>
> > If i decide to render an image of 2106x1728, with 96 ppp resolution
> > and then use ImageMagick or something else to reduce the size of the image
> > to 720x576, but with 300ppp
> > Am I totally crazy ? or is it the only way to obtain what i want ?
>
>   What is "ppp"?
>
>   The resolution of the image is either 2106x1728 or 720x576. There's nothing
> else in those two cases.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

I think he may be referring to dpi/ppi which is really irrelavent in digital
imaging.

Resolution of an image is constant no matter what its 'dpi' is.  Dpi only
effects the way it is displayed on some sort of medium, and this can be
controlled by other means than a setting within an image.  For image
display on a monitor, dpi is defined by the monitor's setting.   In
printing, the dpi can be controlled by the printing software/hardware.

Read here: http://www.rideau-info.com/photos/mythdpi.html

-tgq