POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Asteroid Belt : Asteroid Belt Server Time
31 Jul 2024 08:29:18 EDT (-0400)
  Asteroid Belt
From: OpalPlanet
Date: 9 Jul 2007 16:35:01
Message: <web.46929a863fbb892439928d3a0@news.povray.org>
Hi all -
I'm working on a solar system image right now, and im having trouble with
the asteroid belt. I've tried a media - filled cone, and a while loop to
place random spheriods. (see code below)

So really, I have 3 questions -

1) is there a way to adjust the while loop so that it generates the spheres
inside the boundries of the cone?

2) i know Tek used an asteroid belt pigment in one of his IRTC entries. Does
anyone have the source code for this pigment or something similar that I
could use?

3) Anyone have any other ideas for this project?

Thanks,
OpalPlanet

(i know the scales and colors of both of these are odd, they're all
placeholders, sorry)

//media filled cone
cone { <0 0, 0>, 0 // Center and radius of one end
<127,0, 0>, 30.0 // Center and radius of other end
rotate<0, 0,0>
pigment{rgbt 1}
hollow
interior{
 media {
   emission .1
   density {
    bozo density_map {
     [.51 rgb <0, 0, 1> warp{ turbulence .5} ]
     }//end density map
      }//end density
      }//end media
       }//end interior
    }//end cone

//randomly-generated spheres
#declare xp = seed(0);
#declare yp = seed(0);
#declare zp = seed(0) ;

#declare rad = seed(3);

#declare xs = seed(4) ;
#declare ys = seed(5);
#declare zs = seed(6) ;

#declare xr = seed(7) ;
#declare yr = seed(8) ;
#declare zr = seed(9) ;

 #declare n = 0;

 #while (n<20000)
sphere{<1000+rand(xp),1000+rand(yp),1000+rand(zp)>, rand(rad)
scale<rand(xs),rand(ys),rand(zs)>
rotate<rand(xr),rand(yr),rand(zr)>
pigment{Green}}

#declare n = n+1;