POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : First time poster with question : Re: First time poster with question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First time poster with question
From: Grassblade
Date: 26 Jun 2007 16:35:02
Message: <web.46817836a258fb0911fe5e350@news.povray.org>
"clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> "clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> > Thank you both it works of course.
> >
> > I would really like to learn more about using HDRI light maps to light my
> > scenes and objects.  Can i do that with the current version of POV?  I have
> > seen online Mega POV and i have downloaded it.  but does it just run in the
> > background to the main POV 3.6 windows console?  I am a beginner with hdri
> > for sure so some comprehensive tutoials would be wonderful.

No, Pov-ray currently doesn't support Hdr, but Megapov does. I only have
experience with Windows MegaPOV: you can install it in a different location
and run it separately from POV. I am myself sort of starting to look toward
hdr, but I don't have any experience. There's a link to a tutorial in this
thread:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.tutorials/thread/%3C459aa983%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

> > Thanks again!
>

> Well when I use the +UA and +FN switches i get what i wanted but it seems
> like a have lost my reflections and some surface props of my object.  The
> reflections remain while I use no_image for the planes objects, but the
> reflections seems to be lost when i use the +UA switch, why?
It is possible +UA could have either some sort of limitation or possibly a
bug. EagleSun rendered a planet Earth both with +UA and with a background
and some stuff just isn't right. See
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.45d12f3355e01ed18fafdc490%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=7