POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : First time poster with question : Re: First time poster with question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First time poster with question
From: clarkking
Date: 26 Jun 2007 15:35:02
Message: <web.468169cca258fb09b56da8d00@news.povray.org>
"Grassblade" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> > I have been using Pov Ray now for a few weeks concentrating on learning
> > syntax.  I have seen its results and capabilities before however since i
> > have played about with 3d art for several years now.  I am simply amazed at
> > some of the photorealistic results using hdri and radiosity can offer.
> >
> > At current however i am trying to render a scene with a transparent
> > background.  I am using the +UA command line switch and "no_image" for
> > anything like a plane or background.  Now my render in Pov is an image say
> > with my oject perfectly rendered with a trans. bg.  However when i go to
> > open the image file in say Adobe elements (editor) the image has a black
> > bg, and I cant seem to separate it.  Thats rendering to bmp format.  I have
> > also tried outputing as Targa format but same thing happens.  What am i
> > doing wrong.
> 'twould seem you haven't played enough with *2d* art. ;-) To save
> transparency you need an alpha channel, it is present in PNGs and some
> Targas, AFAIK. BMP doesn't have it, so your image editor will read the
> pigment and output black or white depending if it reads 0,0,0 as black or
> white.
> >  My goal here is to take that object and layer it onto a bg
> > image in the iamge editor.  Also could i just use the image as my
> > background in Pov?  How would I do that though, as an image map?  I have
> > tried that i think but how do i tell Pov Ray where to look for the image?
> Respectively yes, yes and Library_Path (or +L, see
> http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/220/).
> >
> > Well thats enough for now...thanks alot.
> >

> > <C>

Thank you both it works of course.

I would really like to learn more about using HDRI light maps to light my
scenes and objects.  Can i do that with the current version of POV?  I have
seen online Mega POV and i have downloaded it.  but does it just run in the
background to the main POV 3.6 windows console?  I am a beginner with hdri
for sure so some comprehensive tutoials would be wonderful.

Thanks again!