POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : First time poster with question : Re: First time poster with question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:30:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First time poster with question
From: Grassblade
Date: 26 Jun 2007 15:25:01
Message: <web.46816737a258fb0911fe5e350@news.povray.org>
"clarkking" <cla### [at] sbcglobalnet> wrote:
> I have been using Pov Ray now for a few weeks concentrating on learning
> syntax.  I have seen its results and capabilities before however since i
> have played about with 3d art for several years now.  I am simply amazed at
> some of the photorealistic results using hdri and radiosity can offer.
>
> At current however i am trying to render a scene with a transparent
> background.  I am using the +UA command line switch and "no_image" for
> anything like a plane or background.  Now my render in Pov is an image say
> with my oject perfectly rendered with a trans. bg.  However when i go to
> open the image file in say Adobe elements (editor) the image has a black
> bg, and I cant seem to separate it.  Thats rendering to bmp format.  I have
> also tried outputing as Targa format but same thing happens.  What am i
> doing wrong.
'twould seem you haven't played enough with *2d* art. ;-) To save
transparency you need an alpha channel, it is present in PNGs and some
Targas, AFAIK. BMP doesn't have it, so your image editor will read the
pigment and output black or white depending if it reads 0,0,0 as black or
white.
>  My goal here is to take that object and layer it onto a bg
> image in the iamge editor.  Also could i just use the image as my
> background in Pov?  How would I do that though, as an image map?  I have
> tried that i think but how do i tell Pov Ray where to look for the image?
Respectively yes, yes and Library_Path (or +L, see
http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/220/).