POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How do I... : Re: How do I... Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How do I...
From: sumdumguy
Date: 26 Jun 2007 01:00:02
Message: <web.46809c51b9f20e2fe08693640@news.povray.org>
Leroy <lrw### [at] joplincom> wrote:
> sumdumguy wrote:
> > I am looking to create an effect where I have a tube and there is algae
> > growing
> > off of it. The rough shape is similar to this image:
> > http://www.fortunecity.com/greenfield/hawks/191/ChekJawa/chek3.jpg
> > That seems to be a real thing so no pov model is available :).
> > I am wondering whether there is a tool which generates such things. It is
> > not
> > quite landscape or tree generator (needs to be semitransparent and no
> > branching
> > and does not grow on a plane but on a tube, also needs to "wiggle").
> >

> How about using 'sphere sweep' and make it by hand!?

This is a chore. I would need to ensure that paths are
a. Starting from the defined shape (here - cylinder)
b. Wiggle randomly
c. Do not self intersect
d. Do not intersect other wiggly shapes
The "no intersections" condition means that wiggles will be more constrained
close to the base shape (cylinder) and grow in amplitude away from it.
This is a chore to code by hand. You could also make trees by hand but it is
painful enough that people have specialized software for the purpose. I have
done a few sphere sweeps by hand and it took time. Doing a few thousand
needed
for this effect by hand would take an incredible amount of time.