POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Radiosity is really dark : Radiosity is really dark Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:20 EDT (-0400)
  Radiosity is really dark
From: Sudo
Date: 14 Jun 2007 09:05:00
Message: <web.46713c758955295036a7aa2c0@news.povray.org>
So I've got a scene with radiosity settings like this:

global_settings
 {radiosity
   {count 250
    nearest_count 10
    error_bound .5
    minimum_reuse .005
    brightness 1}}

Yet the scene, a green room with a few green objects lit by an outer cyan
sphere with ambient 1, renders like this:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_rad_b1.png
If I increase the brightness to 2, I get this:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_rad_b2.png
But that just artificially brightens the scene. I shouldn't have to do that
to get the scene to be decently lit, or so I gather from the documentation.
Here's what the scene looks like with just a point light and no radiosity:
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c395/mimir227/povray/greenroom_conv.png
These images were generated with Display_Gamma left unset. I've tried
playing around with the gamma settings, both assumed_gamma and
Display_Gamma, but anything that makes this scene bright enough causes
other scenes to be too bright. This skeleton of a scene, for instance:

sphere
 {3*z, 1
  pigment {rgb <.75, .75, .75>}
  finish {diffuse 0 ambient 1}}

renders a circle that is more than 75% gray when I use the same gamma
correction that makes the green room look right. Saving POV-Ray's output to
a different format from PNG doesn't seem to help.

So I guess my question is, what am I doing wrong? Radiosity isn't supposed
to be this dark, is it? And I should be able to use the same gamma settings
for conventional lighting and radiosity, right?