POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Newbie - Want to create a square flood light : Re: Newbie - Want to create a square flood light Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:18:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Newbie - Want to create a square flood light
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 7 Jun 2007 10:35:02
Message: <web.466817849713ab9c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"TheMightyZog" <Chr### [at] HotPOPcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a bit stuck trying to create an outside security light, that is like a
> spot light but has a square/rectangle area of illumination and has a
> falloff (so that the edges are faded rather than sharp).
>
> I've succeeded using a light with the projected_through{aPlane} facility,
> but I get a hard edge and area_light doesnt help.
>
> I'd be greatful for any ideas how I would go about constructing it.
>
> Thanks
> Zog

An area light with projected_through should work.  You just need to make
sure the area light is far enough away from the projected_through rectangle
to get the amount of softness you want.

An alternative would be to create a square array of spotlights, however this
loses some of the advantages that area_lights give you for interpolation and
smoothing.

-tgq