POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Getting started : Re: Getting started Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Getting started
From: nemesis
Date: 6 Jun 2007 18:00:01
Message: <web.46672e2fe79adcf3773c9a3e0@news.povray.org>
"Lhainel" <mac### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> the best and quickest way for me to catch up with the latest version's
> features without too much effort.

The povray manual and included tutorials are excellent and very objective.
But I'd suggest you to concentrate on the basics rather than fancy
features:  basic geometry objects, CSG modelling, texturing and
transformations, specially positioning objects relative to each other and
respecting a given unit.

Povray improved a lot since 1.0:  global illumination in the form of
radiosity, photons causing caustics, isosurfaces to model any shape
imaginable, media to simulate particle interaction, camera focal blur,
user-definable patterns via functions, trace to help you position objects
acurately against a given surface and lots of other predefined basic shapes
and patterns.  And soon enough, povray will be able to use all the CPUs you
got in a given machine.