POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Disable splash window : Re: Disable splash window Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:27:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disable splash window
From: stevenvh
Date: 26 May 2007 05:00:01
Message: <web.4657f58bd37f2b62e99dba500@news.povray.org>
Larry Hudson <org### [at] yahoocom> wrote:

> Yes, most Windows programs have splash screens.  Many (not by any means
> all) allow it to be turned off in the program's options or preferences.
>   After all, when you've already seen it for the 595th time (more or
> less  ;-)  ) it does get rather redundant and boring, even if it does go
> away automatically after a short delay.

Quite right!

> And as to:
>
> Christoph Hormann wrote:
>  > Well what's obvious is that the only reason you would want to disable
>  > the splash screen is to obscure the fact that POV-Ray is called and this
>  > it both unethical and illegal.
>
> I don't understand this answer at all.  If I'm running my copy of POVRay
> (or whatever splash-screened program) on my own system, who the h... am
> I going to obscure this fact from???
>
> Finally, I do wish you would tone down some of your answers.  They
> sometimes come across as very condescending and arrogant.  Not always
> nor frequently -- but occasionally.  You are certainly knowledgeable and
> your answers are accurate (you are a POV-team member, right?).  However,
> the way *some* of your responses come across give a very negative
> impression.  I'm sure this is not your intention, but...
>
> I'm also sure you get tired of answering the same old questions by about
> the 156th time, but I think you could exhibit a bit less impatience
> about it.
>
>       -=- Larry -=-

Fully agree with Larry. When reading though the thread I was a bit surprised
that there were no reactions to Christoph's tone. I not only find it
condescending and arrogant, but very agressive as well, starting his first
reply about the unethical and illegal thing.
Unethical? It would be unethical if I was trying to deny it is POVray or
pose it as another (e.g. my own) program, which I won't.
Illegal? No more than removing the brand name from, say, my PC monitor.

The reason I want to disable the splash screen is esthetical rather than
ethical: it's simply the fugliest rendering image I've ever seen!!!