POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 18:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: Roman Reiner
Date: 22 May 2007 14:05:01
Message: <web.465330693a09fa7d7e4a510c0@news.povray.org>
"swampie" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> The issue is the promotion of POV. Not the short code contest, not the Pope,
> not anything else in all that is listed in Wikipedia or elsewhere else. (
> got the hint yet?)
>
> Can there be a contest to promote POV to a more robust, more all
> encompassing language that will cause it to last through the graphics
> producing ages by forcing the contest to use POV, just POV, and only POV?

Why do you want to promote POV anyway? Do you feel the community is too
small? Do you think the people who are using POV already don't take it to
it's limits yet? What do you think is the reason that people spend
thousands of bucks for programs like Max, Maya or Lightwave although there
is POV? For free? Do you think the reason is that they simply don't *know*
it yet?

[imho]
No, the reason is that although POV is surely an admirable piece of software
it's still far far away from being what i would call a "professional
application". It's a kick-ass renderer but that's it. (Please don't beat me
up anyone :))
So if you want to bring POVRay to a broader audience the only meaningful way
would be to improve it's features (mainly speed) as well as adding new ones.

That being said i still don't see what this contest should be about.
Personally i want to hit *my own* limits rather than those of my app. And
this is the reason why i'm using all the programs i can get my hands on.

I think before continuing with this discussion we should all clarify if
we're talking about *visual* art or *programming* art here.
[/imho]

Regards Roman