POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Syntax for reading a large file of numbers. : Re: Syntax for reading a large file of numbers. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:20:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Syntax for reading a large file of numbers.
From: gregjohn
Date: 19 May 2007 16:00:02
Message: <web.464f563bbd786cc534d207310@news.povray.org>
Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:

> You could try a very low number which should give you a "No matching }"
> error.
>
> As you've seen, if you use a high number, you get "Insufficient number
> of initialisers".
>
> You could then try a binary chop to search for the actual number of
> entries.
>

> What might be happening is that you've got some negative numbers.

Thanks, but all the values are between 1 and 255.

I have been tinkering around since then.  I'm wondering if my previous error
were that it couldn't find the file (am using the Windows version after
being in linux for quite a while and might not have had the right filename
syntax).  But now that I've moved the file to the same directory as my pov
file it still chokes.  Only now the error is "Parse Error: Expected 'object
or directive', float function 'float constant' found instead."  POV-Win puts
a yellow mark at the first line of the included file.

My hunch is that syntax is unworkable. It is "too elegant".  The "five lines
of code" is the way to go.

I believe that the