POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering memory limitations : Re: Rendering memory limitations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:25:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering memory limitations
From: pirateprincess
Date: 17 May 2007 13:55:01
Message: <web.464c9687c7f5d682d5b864c00@news.povray.org>
"nemesis" <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> following Thomas suggestion, I'd also urge you to apply just one finish to
> the whole union instead at each copy.  I'm also curious as to the storage
> format to the DNA structure:  it looks like it's a mesh, right?

Thanks for this suggestion. I am very very new to this program, I am a
chemist who is trying to make a graphic for a Journal cover. The DNA
structure comes from a crystal structure visualizing program that I am
familiar with using. Once I get the view of the helix as I want it to
appear, I export to POVray using a script. When it comes into POVray, the
helix consists of about 20,000 lines of code, mostly spheres and cylinders,
that I guess is what the program translates the image from the crystal
structure program as. I then just put a declare statement around all 20,000
lines of code and work with the declared identity. I will try your
suggestion of moving the finish to the union instead of in the original
description. I'm sorry, I don't know what you mean about it looks like it's
a mesh.

Another thing I should add to the above, I want to have a protein crystal
structure in the image above, and its description as it comes from the
crystal structure program is over 50,000 lines of code! I need at least 10
copies of this to appear as well, but am despairing of it being possible!

Thanks for the help, I will report back on the attempts to move the finish.