POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Rendering memory limitations : Re: Rendering memory limitations Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:33:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering memory limitations
From: pirateprincess
Date: 17 May 2007 13:50:02
Message: <web.464c954bc7f5d682d5b864c00@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:

> I am not sure if I can help, but at least, there are a couple of questions.
> 1) I suppose your file is the one called my_scene.pov? Can you tell us what
> is written at and around line 665798 of that file? I assume it refers to a
> finish{} statement...

I generalized a few things to make the description of the problem easier. My
file is the one I have called my_scene.pov. It doesn't seem to matter what
is written at that line, anything I add to the last line of the program (a
sphere for instance) its says that it does not have enough memory to parse
it. I have tried different objects, as well as taking out some of the
copies of the DNA.

> 2) You use 15-20 copies of a simple DNA double helix. Are they referenced
> copies? or is the complete code just copied 15-20 times? That would account
> for the large file (and perhaps for the parse error, but I am not sure). To
> make a referenced copy of your helix, do the following:

I only have the code for the DNA written out once, declared as an object as
you have described below. Then to get the full picture, I have unions of
various numbers of the helix declared as seperate objects. This has allowed
me to work with only one or two of the helices at a time in order to get
them the way I want them. But now that I am trying to view my final scene
with all the copies, it is running out of memory.

> #declare My_helix =
> union {
>   my DNA code
> }
> object {My_helix}
> object {My_helix
>   translate <my_x, my_y, my_z> or whatever transformation you need....
> }
> etc....
>
> Thomas

Thanks for the help thus far, but it seems I did do the above already,any
other suggestions? Thanks