POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height Field Tutorial Update : Re: Height Field Tutorial Update Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height Field Tutorial Update
From: Stephen
Date: 15 May 2007 06:15:02
Message: <web.464987203aeca03bb3e3af320@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> "FrogRay" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >   I have just updated my Povray Height-Field tutorial located at
> > http://homepages.xnet.co.nz/~calculus/index.html
>
> Nice work. A good addition to the tutorials out there.  I'm sure it will be
> appreciated my many new POV-er's.
>
> Actually, I've always felt that POV-Ray's own description of a heightfield,
> and how to create one, is a bit too "technical" for newbies.

I agree that for a newbie a less technical definition might be better. I
would also add, in different words, that the elevation of the hieghtfield
depends on the lightness of the image. That is the lighter the point is in
the image the higher the corresponding point will be on the hieghtfield. I
might be tempted to include a hieghtfield using a recognizable image, a
logo or a photograph might be an idea.

It is a nice clean and simple site, and I wish that it had been around when
I started PovRay.