POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Compiling POV-Ray 3.6.1 on IA64 using Intel Compiler : Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.6.1 on IA64 using Intel Compiler Server Time
15 Jun 2024 04:47:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling POV-Ray 3.6.1 on IA64 using Intel Compiler
From: RedAndr
Date: 9 May 2007 15:40:03
Message: <web.4642232e1a9ccb3c6ee3c85e0@news.povray.org>
> I suppose the problem is in the libcxa intel
> library. Still trying to investigate this hypothesis.

Yes! Finally I solved the problem. It was really a problem of
incompatibility between gcc and intel libraries. So, to obtain working
binaries the
LDFLAGS="-cxxlib-icc -lcxa" should be supplied for the configure.

Result is pretty good, look at gcc vs icc timings:

Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  4 seconds (4 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  1 minutes 46 seconds (106 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  1 minutes 50 seconds (110 seconds)

Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  4 seconds (4 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  1 minutes 13 seconds (73 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  1 minutes 18 seconds (78 seconds)

Almost 1.5x speedup!