POV-Ray : Newsgroups : irtc.stills : Before and After and new website : Re: Before and After and new website Server Time
30 Apr 2024 11:00:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Before and After and new website
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 9 May 2007 06:55:01
Message: <web.4641a7fb62a9bf11731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Jim Charter <jrc### [at] msncom> wrote:
> These are light effects not photo effects.  You do not need a photograph
> to perceive shadows, reflections and global illumination.
>
> Meanwhile, these and other phenomena as recorded by a camera are still
> only a partial "realism"  A photo is just a particular recording of
> reality, a partial slice if you will.

Quite. Real 'photorealism' should address the imperfections of the camera
such as barrel distortion, chromatic aberration, over/under exposure, lens
flare, colour bleeding, motion blur, field of view and even the location of
the photographer. I am reminded of Tek's incredible IRTC entry last year
with the fire on the beach.

But there's plenty of amazing things one can do with a raytracer that aren't
possible with a camera. If I could take a picture of it, I don't need to
ray-trace it :-)

Bill