POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Problem with aliasing/moire effect on texture : Problem with aliasing/moire effect on texture Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:41 EDT (-0400)
  Problem with aliasing/moire effect on texture
From: Ansgar
Date: 27 Apr 2007 14:40:01
Message: <web.4632428231bc005fcb86afba0@news.povray.org>
I have a problem with a highly detailed cloth texture on a jacket. It looks
good from near but very bad and grainy from far due to an aliasing effect.
(I have pictures but I'm sure you can imagine what I mean - lemme know if
you want the pics.)
How can I solve that problem?
I have done a search here and I have found some postings where people
describe similar problems. The answer they usually got was just "increase
AA".
I have tried rendering the scene with +a0.1 +am2.
The ugly effect was reduced, but not removed, and that small improvement
came at the price of a very washed-out look and an increase in rendering
time from like twenty seconds to about half an hour (!).
C'mon, there must be a better solution!
In 3DS MAX (which I ported the scene and texture from), the thing renders in
three seconds, and it looks excellent from near *and* far.
So what kind of trick is MAX pulling and is there a way to "emulate" it in
POV?

Thanks a lot in advance,
Ansgar