POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Vista and POV-Ray : Re: Vista and POV-Ray Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Vista and POV-Ray
From: Yuri Hikado
Date: 21 Apr 2007 15:45:01
Message: <web.462a687f892b73203aa9c3ab0@news.povray.org>
"Carl" <car### [at] semisouthcom> wrote:
> Ok... My old PC died a few weeks ago and I'm now up and running with Vista
> on a Core 2 Duo.  I had read that was the best processor for POV-Ray.
> Anyways... I'm still getting stuff up and running and just hit my first
> POV-Ray issue.  I was about to start work on a short animation and to that
> end I wanted to edit the resolution INI file.  I click on tools, then click
> on Edit resolution INI file, and up comes Notepad.  I make a few changes as
> normal and try to save the changes and all I get is a cannot create the
> file error message.  It simply says "Make sure that the path and file name
> are correct."  They are and I'm pretty sure this in a Windows Vista issue
> with all its new security.  I've now tried opening the file with several
> other editor's and I've even now tried to edit the file in DOS mode all
> with no luck.
>
> I'm sure there has to be a simple solution to this but for the life of me I
> can't figure it out at the moment.
>
> Help,
> Carl

Try running as XP (sp2) in compatability mode. Vista doesn't like people
editing files in the Program Files area, nor does it apparantly appreciate
modifications to .ini files (I'm not sure if that's part of the Program
Files thing or not). You might also install to another directory than the
default Program Files and see if that helps.

From what I've read, in compatability mode, it pretends to write to files in
Program Files, but actually does it to a directory in your user files...
meaning that another user on the same computer couldn't access your
modifications.