POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account : Re: Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account Server Time
28 Apr 2024 14:54:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Running Pov-Ray using restricted user account
From: Brian
Date: 10 Apr 2007 17:00:01
Message: <web.461bfa683b750ee14f02351a0@news.povray.org>

> Can you run it using something like filemon (www.sysinternals.com; they have
> been borg'd by Microsoft but the utility ought to still be out there) and
> find out what exactly it is failing on?
>
> Note that by default it does write to pvengine.ini, however a failure to do
> so should not cause the program to fail to operate. If it does then I will of
> course fix it.
>
> -- Chris

Filemon seems to reveal a clue as to what the problem may be.  It seems that
when POV processes some of our jpeg image files it writes temp files to the
root of the c drive.  The name of these files look something like this
t7k.1, t7k.2, t7k.3....and so on.  The name and number of files is slightly
different for each image that causes this problem.

This only happens on certain images and not all.  One theory that we have
here is that these jpegs were created in a older jpeg format, since
these files that we are failing on were probably created 5-7 years ago.
The reason we think this, is that if we resave these files in paint shop the
problem goes away.

Doesn't look like we can attach files here or I would attach one of the
problem jpegs.  If you would like to send me an email I would be happy to
send you one of these files.

Thanks Again
Brian