POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Logo cut from cylinder : Re: Logo cut from cylinder Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:23:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Logo cut from cylinder
From: Carl
Date: 9 Apr 2007 16:55:02
Message: <web.461aa6d98b717c5070dc520d0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
> Possible solution, if the desired cylinder have a ralatively large radius:
> difference{
>  object{wwwmwww}
>  cylinder{<100,0,0><-100,0,0>,20}//must be longer than your prism
> //the radius should be reasonably larger that the height of the prism
>  cylinder{<101,0,0><-101,0,0>,17}//longer to avoid coincident surfaces
>  texture{YourTexture}
>  }
> Here, the faces are curved, but the sides are still parallel.
>
> Another way, is to use object pattern with a cylindrical warp to project it
> on a cylinder. This have the advantage of the sides been perpendicular to
> the surface. As this is meant for pigments, it must be converted to a
> function and used in an isosurface (extreem max_gradient) or directly as a
> media density. Both are slow.
>
> --
> Alain

Well, ultimately I wanted the logo to wrap 3/4th of the way around the
cylinder.  I was then going to animate it orbiting a sphere.  So I don't
think the difference with a cylinder method would work.  I must confess the
other solution you mention I think is beyond my POV-Ray skill level at the
moment.  I'm still learning.  Do you think you could make a simple example
so I can see what the code would look like?

Thanks,
Carl