POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Surface normal in pigment user-function : Re: Surface normal in pigment user-function Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Surface normal in pigment user-function
From: avariant
Date: 6 Apr 2007 11:00:02
Message: <web.461660564f1e00c8fdebbbce0@news.povray.org>
Turns out that's not exactly what I need after all...  It's a good solution
and for small, relatively uniform objects it's probably sufficient.  The
problem is that the slope pattern takes a single vector, which can be a
vector from the camera position to the object's center.  But I want to
evaluate the angle between the camera vector and the normal of EACH surface
point which means, based on the point, the vector from the camera is always
changing.

Like I said when I started this post, I know trace would work, but as I've
learned more about POV-Ray, it seems that there isn't a way to include it
in a pigment function because functions don't support vectors.

So, are there any thoughts on how this could be done?  Like I said, slope
pattern can work, but wouldn't be entirely correct for large or complicated
objects.