POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Saving Time on multiple renders : Re: Saving Time on multiple renders Server Time
31 Jul 2024 10:17:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Saving Time on multiple renders
From: MattM
Date: 3 Apr 2007 04:20:01
Message: <web.46120d111e5b540678bb3c0b0@news.povray.org>
Thanks Chris Cason, you answered my question. It's not possible but could be
implemented in future. It was obvious in an animation type situation that
povray is spending lots of time doing the same thing, parsing, dumping from
memory, parsing, dumping, etc etc. In my case the parse time is as long as
the render time so it would make a massive impact on rendering multiple
images.

Just so people get the gist of what I was suggesting it could be something
like

object {tree cachename="tree1"} // tree is a large mesh object

cachename would tell povray to store the the cached object in memory. Then a
subsequent frame with the same object would just look up 'tree1' and use the
parsed in memory object (and save all that parse time).

That's just my humble suggesting I don't care how it's implemented but I'm
sure it would save some people lots of time.