POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : toon-shading using attenuation : Re: toon-shading using attenuation Server Time
3 May 2024 04:12:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: toon-shading using attenuation
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 22 Mar 2007 06:20:01
Message: <web.4602661722cba179731f01d10@news.povray.org>
Lukas Winter <web### [at] removeitgeloeschtnet> wrote:
> contribute my solution. The trick is to put a slightly larger copy around
> each object with a clear texture but with dense black attenuation and
> no_shadow.
You could also use absorbing/emitting media.

> However, finding
> a copy that really fits well so that the line has the same thickness
> everywhere is often difficult. For blobs or isosurfaces lowering the
> threshold is not always enough. It works quite well for basic objects and
> CSG. Meshs shouldn't be a problem if you can expand it by moving every
> vertex along its normal but I have never tried that.
This is basically the same technique that I used to generate the ghostly
edge-glow effect in my last IRTC entry, 'Ghost Light' - still on the IRTC
homepage due to the hiatus. I can vouch for expanding a mesh along its
normals (actually I shrunk mine but it amounts to the same thing), it
worked a treat. I don't know about other modellers, but there's a suitable
tool in Blender that does this.

Nice demo, by the way.

Bill