POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How about a contest....... : Re: How about a contest....... Server Time
31 Jul 2024 20:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How about a contest.......
From: Mike the Elder
Date: 21 Mar 2007 14:20:02
Message: <web.460183043a09fa7dc030fd050@news.povray.org>
I like the "round-robin" variation of the ping-pong idea.  I don't see why
it would need to be "instead of" a contest.  It could just be one more
interesting event for anyone who wanted to participate. The trick would be
to keep the organization simple and get started soon.  If nobody else
starts a round by Sunday, 03/25/07 12:00 GMT, I will.  If anyone else would
like to go first, feel free.  My whole thrust with respect to the "IRTC in
Limbo" issue is: more image making and friendly exchange; less
territorialism, debating, finger-pointing and recrimination.  3D-RTC/TINA
CheP is good because it is actually happening and people can enjoy it.
Round Robin Creative POV will be good for exactly the same reason.  It's
true enough that any undertaking in which numerous people are going to
participate will need some ground rules and an organizer or two to make
decisions, but IMHO the IRTC proper sometimes went WAY overboard in this
regard.  Adding judging and prizes to a participatory event should ADD to
the enjoyment, not DETRACT from it.  This is supposed to be FUN for crying
out loud!  If anyone who doesn't want to actually start a round-robin event
would like to toss out suggestions on how to improve one (without making it
more complicated), I'll watch this thread and accommodate the wishes of
prospective players as far as reason and circumstances will allow. For the
sake of brevity, I'll respond to suggestions collectively on
03/25 (should I be the one to start a round) rather than responding
individually. My thanks go out to the many people who are making positive
contributions to keeping the "social ray-tracing" phenomenon alive.

Best Regards,
Mike C.