POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Surface normal in pigment user-function : Surface normal in pigment user-function Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:27 EDT (-0400)
  Surface normal in pigment user-function
From: avariant
Date: 13 Mar 2007 20:05:02
Message: <web.45f74903fde32694bb706900@news.povray.org>
I know you can create a pigment user function that accepts x,y,z,u,v as the
geometric and texture coordinates of the point being evaluated.  My
question is, are there constants that can be set to automatically accept the
normal of the point being evaluated?

I know that I could use the trace method to retrieve it, and if there is no
other way, I'll do that, but it seems redundant.  Likely, when evaluating
the function, trace or some method like it, has been called prior and
calling trace would just duplicate the effort and take longer.