POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : New machine. : Re: New machine. Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New machine.
From: Karl Anders
Date: 13 Mar 2007 11:50:02
Message: <web.45f6d595f7e7b5fb26268d40@news.povray.org>
"Bruno Cabasson" <bru### [at] alcatelaleniaspacefr> wrote:
> Which OS, which processor? Vista frightens me a little but the machine will
> also have a family usage and versions of POV are first released on Windows.
> However I feel attracted by MAC OS, and Linux corresponds better to my
> personnal ideas.

Hi Bruno,

have you considered buying one of those new Intel-based Macs? They run MacOS
X, which is based on BSD Unix, and you can install Windows, too. There ARE a
few problems with some programs written and compiled for PPC-Macs, and sadly
POV-Ray is on that list. But there is a new compile of MegaPOV, which works
fine - or so they say. For me it's all 3rd hand knowledge, I've got an old
G4 Mac (350MHz) which got updated to OS X just this weekend :-)

But there are other people here who tried Intel-based Macs, see
http://news.povray.org/povray.macintosh/
especially Yvo Smellenbergh's post on universal binary:
http://news.povray.org/povray.macintosh/thread/%3C1ho6ayc.2j0xey1lhlo00N%25yvo.s%40gmx.net%3E/

Whatever you buy: Happy Raytracing!

Karl