POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Objects on a slope : Re: Objects on a slope Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:15:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Objects on a slope
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 12 Mar 2007 10:55:02
Message: <web.45f576d27100fbbdc150d4c10@news.povray.org>
"Jim Holsenback" <jho### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I trying to place objects on the slope of a height_field. From the
> documentation I was able to figure out how to get the "Y" direction problem
> solved by using the trace command to place the objects, but now another
> issue has cropped up. Some of the objects are partically covered (see
> attached image). I'm wondering if if vrotate (A,B) A being the camera
> location, and B.z or B.x is would fix this. I'm having a problem figuring
> how to intergrate that into what I've already done. Pointers appreciated
> better than an actual solution as I'll end up understanding it better.

To further clarify along with what the others said, vrotate(A,B) doesn't
rotate objects, it rotates vector A by degree rotation B.  What you want is
the opposite, you know the resultant vector and the rotated vector (normal,
A), you need to find the corresponding rotation B which is what the
function described by Warp does.

-tgq