POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation : Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation Server Time
31 Jul 2024 12:14:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Storing height_field mesh between frames of an animation
From: scam
Date: 11 Mar 2007 22:15:00
Message: <web.45f4c4f9da84c92558a931fb0@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle <evi### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Sure you can.  You have POV-Ray render the height_field with a gradient
> texture running from rgb <0,0,0> to rgb <1,1,1>, with the hf_gray
> setting on.  The high parts of the height_field are white, and the low
> parts are black.  The height_field is saved as a picture in the render
> output file.

But won't the image file need to be converted back into a mesh at parse
time?

Just to clarify, I have 5000x5000 pixel png image that I have generated in
another program. When POV-Ray parses my scene it spends 5-10 seconds
processing the image, converting it into a mesh (which is what I believe
height_field does). Would this approach actually speed things up in my
case?

> If the original poster is generating a large height field from a
> function or pigment pattern (which I did for a recent IRTC entry), he
> can try breaking up the height_field into several smaller sections (of
> equal precision, or he'll get cracks between sections), and test them to
> see which are on-camera and which aren't.
>
> Regads,
> John

This sounds promising, although most of the height_field is visible
throughout the animation.

Thanks for the suggestions all.